Wednesday, March 10, 2010

More signs of spring





Before I begin this post, I want to explain my absence yesterday... I was having "technical difficulties," our computer wireless network was down. ( I hadn't figured on technical stuff getting in the way of writing a blog everyday!) Thank goodness it came back today!

More signs that spring is on the way.. (I feel like one of the woodland characters from the wonderful children's book, "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe," where the four children discover another world by going through an old wardrobe. The land they discover, has been ruled for many years by a wicked white witch, who makes it winter all year round. As the children's adventures continue, signs of spring return to the land called "Narnia", and the woodland animals begin to have hope, and whisper to each other and the children that "Aslan is on the move." Aslan being the leader of the resistance as it were, who has been away, but is now returning to set all to right.) I love this book and the positive message that comes when the animals exchange their feelings of fear for hope.

And I experience feelings of joy when I see signs in the garden that "Spring Is On The Move."

Above is a photo of the wild Indian Plum (oemleria cerasiformis) growing in the woods next to our house. I love this little tree, as it acts as a staging post year round for lots of little birds that come to our feeder.

I watch this tree change through the seasons, and know that pretty soon, these pretty, white flowers will drop and give way to small green berries that ripen to an orangey yellow (about the size of a small cherry.) I watch closely because I'm waiting for the arrival of these rascals.

Cedar Waxwings, bombycilla cedrorum come to visit the garden every spring, and they are a sight. Usually I become aware of their presence, not by seeing them first, but by seeing the Indian Plum tree, (by this time full of beautifully ripened berries,) trembling and shaking in a most bizarre way. I get as close as I can, with my binoculars, and just watch in amazement as the tree is pillaged of all its fruit within minutes, right before my eyes. They have voracious appetites (thats a polite way of saying gluttonous!) I am not exaggerating when I say they do not leave a single ripe berry behind, they are a riot!

And oh, they are SO beautiful, with their exquisite, darkly lined eyes, shot of brilliant scarlet on their wings, and beautiful silky crested head...., like silk poetry.

I could watch them all day...








No comments: