Monday, March 8, 2010

Making It To The Top..

Well, I'm back into a running routine again, well, almost... 5 days out of 8 isn't bad. I let things slip after running the Seattle Half Marathon at the end of November, and thought I could get by with running once or twice a week and still maintain my fitness level... WRONG!!!

Its been really tough the past couple of months. I had read in "Runner" magazine that "if you don't use it,,, you lose it" within a very short time period. Which is exactly what had happened to me, my staying power was almost back to where it was when I started training in September of last year. I guess I thought I was different and didn't need to keep running that much...(sometimes I'm amazed at my ability to delude myself.., especially when it comes to working out and fitness!)

Anyway, I feel great, I did my forty minute run this morning, ending in the big hill near our house, this time it was one of those "SPLENDID" days, and I managed to run all the way to the top without stopping, this time no crumpled worms, no gasping for air (well maybe a little!) not sobbing, no fear.. I found some fast pumping, motivating rock and roll, put my head down and dug deep, and stuck to it till I made it..., and, well, I felt great, in fact I might go as far as to say, I felt quite invincible for several hours afterwards!!!

Here's a couple of great quotes from two of the all time greats...

"I always loved running - it was something you could do by yourself,
and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow
as you wanted , fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new
sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
Jesse Owens

"A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who
has the most guts."
Steve Prefontaine

No comments: