Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Dream Come True...

A few months ago, I wrote in this blog about my secret desire to learn to paint in oils (or acrylics,)  http://neinahavelin.blogspot.com/2010/05/unspoken-desire.html

... A while back I bought this painting...


"Celebration" by Sophie Frieda

...by the very gifted artist Sophie Frieda...at the same time, I asked her if she would consider teaching me how to paint, which on reflection might have seemed a bit bold, considering I've never had a lesson, and don't really know the first thing about painting..., and,,, and ..... and....

So.., she said "yes" she would help me, (brave woman that she is!)  I invited a dear friend to join me in the fun,  (Sophie suggested that it might be more effective to have two people to teach at the same time, as it would assist the learning process, as each individual learns differently, comes up with different questions, and has different insights that the other might not...)

Today was our first two hour lesson...

Do you know the saying "When the student is ready the teacher will appear?"  Well, until today, I wasn't ready...  If I'd have taken painting lessons before now, I would have beaten myself up for not being "any good at  art!"  and might have stopped, angry and frustrated with myself...  It has been a lifelong weakness..., starting in earnest with goals and longings, then stopping before I've even given myself a chance to get going, (and actually learn something)... 

 Its a very strange thing... wanting something so badly, I would allow myself to try,  then stop, and instead of shaking beginners nerves off (or whatever road block might appear,) over and over I would shoot myself down because ..."I wasn't good at it"... - like IMMEDIATELY!!! and then I would give up trying without question...  Have you ever done that???

Silly really, when I think about it...


My first lesson, learning about light and dark, shadows,
 dimensions, tonal values.., how to really look at a subject...


I think I must have left "the critic" at home today,  as I was able to sit and watch, pay attention to what Sophie had to share and I became rapt/wrapped in the lesson... Time  s - l - o - w - e - d  down, and I gave myself to the work at hand and LOVED every moment of it... and (this may sound silly people,)  I loved myself for letting the joy flow, letting the love and beauty of the moment settle in for a whole two hours..., and leaving judgement at home...  - Something I plan on doing more often!!!

 Cyndi Lauper had it right when she sang "GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!"  





2 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

i agree so much with Cindi Lauper; have fun with your new venture

much love
gillena

Unknown said...

Congrats on this new ADventure! Anything that slows the world down and helps us appreciate the task at hand is a gift. I am thrilled to have picked up my camera again....thanks in huge part to you! When you try your hand at seashells, think of me!
xo, Cassandra