Friday, August 27, 2010

The Sweet and Precious Art of Bessie Pease Gutmann...


A very happy Pink Saturday http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/ ~ especially to Collette, who we celebrate and send much love to.
 
Today, I celebrate my favorite kind of pink..., (baby pink.)

The other day I had the delight of seeing a collection of prints by American 20th century artist Bessie Pease Gutmann.  CG's Mom collected her art over many years, she was a very big fan, and I can see why...  I have NEVER ever come across another artist that had the obvious love and adoration of children and babies.  Her paintings and sketches are so very dear and so genuinely filled with love...., take a look at these...






I don't know how much cute I can take (when it comes to children - lots actually!)...  

Gutmann had three children of her own, who often modeled for her work.  She had a very successful career as an illustrator for many magazines during the early part of the 20th century, but her work lost its appeal around the time of world war II...  Sadly most of her originals have disappeared, but what's left of her art is gaining popularity again..., I can see why...  

Here's a few of my favorites..


"Good Night"


"A Chip Off The Old Block"


"Sisters"


Cute, cute, cute...

Love,

Neinah





2 comments:

D. Jean Quarles said...

Happy Pink Day. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. Those pictures are lovely. I actually have a book with a photo of the child by the stream on the cover.

Unknown said...

I love her work.
Such beautiful pictures thanks for sharing.
My son gave me a hardback book with her work.