Friday, December 4, 2009

I DID IT!!!

Last Sunday, I ran the Seattle Half Marathon, I was one of over 8,000 runners, I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack. I walked for the first mile, not really sure how to act, what to think, it was all new to me (intimidating.) I struck up a conversation with a young woman from Spokane who planned on walking the whole 26.2 marathon course, I explained to her that I wasn't sure what I would do, I told her I was worried about my knees, this was my first time, I really had never been a runner... Suddenly from behind us came a small group of runners charging up the hill, flanked by motorcycle police. They were running so fast, as if their lives depended on it.., though it was still not day light and temps were freezing cold, they wore only the lightest of running clothes that were already soaked in sweat it was as if they were running a race in Bermuda instead of the freezing damp of Seattle. The air crackled as they passed by, I felt a jolt of something, like panic, or maybe sheer thrill... I was a child again, and I'd just been invited to come and play with a bunch of kids who were heading out to have a wonderful adventure..., didn't I want to come too??? I suddenly found myself saying goodbye to the young woman from Spokane, explaining that I was ready to do what I'd come to do..., run. I took off and joined the enormous shoal of runners, and didn't look back. It seemed like many passed me by, but I kept on going, stayed focused, listened to my body. My Ipod, loaded with music from my teens, Electric Light Orchestra, Hot Chocolate, Blondie, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Elvis Costello kept me company and my pace rhythmic and sure. When I crossed over I-5 and saw the last mile marker, I knew that I'd done it.. I had energy to run the last mile faster and cross the finish line with a new story about me. I did it:)

I'd started training in mid September, and on November 29th, I ran the Seattle Half Marathon.

During the run, as I was listening intently to my body, It occurred to me that I'd always told myself that I wasn't a runner and so I never tried running for real and here I was running in a half marathon! Now I'm asking what else have I told myself I'm no good at, can't do, shouldn't even try doing??? I'd no idea until this race what a lot of stories I've been telling myself about who I am, and what I can and cannot do, so guess what?

I'm ready for some new stories:))) If you'd like to see a wee clip of me crossing the finish line
click on the link below.

Thanks for listening.

Neinah


1 comment:

Apron Thrift Girl said...

Well done for achieving your goal. I'm so proud of you Neinah!